Beyond the Mask Working Group
Success for the Beyond the Mask strategic initiative have been defined as follows:
- Anesthesiologists in new and different leadership roles (beyond Anesthesiologist in Chief)
- Anesthesiologists in more leadership roles in delivering care, within the hospital, as part of the profession and across the system
- More anesthesiologists involved in influencing health and public policy
- Introduction of new proven approaches, practices and procedures
- Stakeholders (including OMA, hospital administrators, policy makers and colleagues) identify anesthesiologists as being influential in transforming the system
- The public is better informed as to the role of anesthesiologists in determining patient safety
- Individual anesthesiologists indicate a stronger identity and sense of professional contribution
- Other jurisdictions across Canada are implementing similar approaches.
In the first three years, the Beyond the Mask Working Group has made considerable progress as demonstrated by the following examples:
- the development and publication of the Choosing Wisely Implementation Guide;
- the Choosing Wisely Implementation Guide being shared as a national resource for Anesthesiologists and as an example of good practice with other specialty groups;
- a new working relationship with Choosing Wisely Canada and Health Quality Ontario;
- the development of a Resource Centre, initially for Chiefs and now Centres for both general members and for FP-Anesthetists, each with common foundational content plus unique elements tailored to the specific membership;
- engaging the membership with record response rates to requests for input
- a new partnership with the OHA that has already resulted in the delivery of a first customized leadership development program; and
- recognition from the OMA as one of the most progressive and well managed Sections.
2017-2018 Working Group Projects
The BTM initiative has had another successful year and saw remarkable traction with our 2017 projects. We are continuing to encourage the use of the Choosing Wisely Implementation Guide and to capture and celebrate success stories (click here if you would like more info). We will also continuing to work closely with the Chiefs as a group to support them in their leadership roles. Our focus for the 2017/18 year is in three area:
- Leadership and Capacity Development: Make available a robust set of leadership development options together with an evaluation framework
- Working with External Stakeholders: Deepen relationships with key provincial and national organizations
- Working with Members: Strengthen perception of Anesthesiologists’ value among healthcare colleagues, particularly perioperative care team members
JOIN OUR WORKING GROUP
If any of the listed three themes resonate with you our BTM Steering Committee is currently recruiting for new Working Group members. Please email our administrator, Emily Hill, at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you would like more information and/or are interested in joining an upcoming project meeting or provide your contact information below . Our success is only possible through the hard work of active and engaged members. We thank all the wonderful Anesthesiologists who’ve contributed to our various projects to date!
~ Learn More About Going Beyond the Mask ~
Our BTM project management team has conducted a series of interviews with Anesthesiologists who are Going Beyond the Mask - individuals identified by their peers as important leaders in the healthcare system. Interviewees shared their stories and provided insights on a variety of useful topics to help you, our members, become aware of opportunities, tools and support mechanisms. Click here to learn more and to read about their success. Click here to provide the name/s of other Anesthesiologists who are Going Beyond the Mask.
We were excited to announce the launch of our Choosing Wisely Implementation Guide in June 2017. supporting conversations and actions to reduce unnecessary tests, treatments and procedures. Using a case study approach, this guide includes templates, tools and change management suggestions to enable all hospitals to achieve the benefits of improved patient care. Click here to access the Implementation Guide.
Our members are invited to access one of our Resource Centres on PetalMD, including distinct Chief, Family Practice Anesthetist and General Membership groups. These Resource Centres have dynamic tools for Ontario Anesthesiologists to engage in discussions and share information about a range of peri-operative and leadership activities. They are accessible on your desktop, phone, or tablet.Click here for information on how to sign-up.
Ontario’s Anesthesiologists is partnering with the Ontario Hospital Association to develop tailored, applied, accredited and relevant programs for Anesthesiologists and FP/GP Anesthetists. Our first one-day session on Strategic Leadership in a Reform Environment was a huge success. We will be offering additional programs in 2018. Please click here for more information.
The Public Website for the Section on Anesthesiology of the Ontario Medical Association is intended to give general information about who Ontario’s Anesthesiologists are and what they do. This website is NOT intended to be a source of medical advice.