Career Planning and Transition to Practice Services in Ontario
HealthForceOntario Marketing and Recruitment Agency (HFO MRA) was established to ensure the healthcare system has the right number, mix and distribution of qualified health care professionals practising in Ontario. The Agency works to retain physicians trained in Ontario by reaching out to medical residents and students to let them know about the great job opportunities and career-assistance available in the province.
Practice Ontario is a free career-planning service for postgraduate medical residents offered by HFO MRA. Through Practice Ontario postgraduate trainees can connect with a personal career advisor, or Regional Advisor (RA). RAs are distributed across the province, working closely with the medical community to provide personal job-search assistance and career advice to medical residents. Some of the services offered through Practice Ontario include:
- Job search assistance: Connecting physicians to locum and permanent job opportunities available throughout Ontario – from urban to rural settings.
- Transition to practice assistance: CV preparation and review; interview preparation; best practice, tips and resources for ensuring a smooth transition to practice, etc.
Practice Ontario support is available to postgraduate trainees by e-mail, telephone or face-to-face consultation. For personal appointments, your advisor can meet you at the time and location of your choice: on campus, your training location or even at a local coffee shop.
To connect with a Regional Advisor contact email@example.com
HFO MRA also manages HFOJobs, a comprehensive job posting website for physicians and nurses practicing in Ontario. Residents can register with HFOJobs to explore:
- Permanent and locum opportunities across Ontario
- Search by community, speciality, region in Ontario
- Submit CVs and apply directly to a position on-line
- Create job alerts based on specific practice/geographic preferences
Job Opportunities in Ontario
- The Canadian Medical Association – Statistics on Physician Workforce
- Ontario Physician Human Resource Data Centre
- Canadian Post-M.D. Education Registry
- Canadian Institute of Health Information
- National Physician Survey
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- British Columbia – HealthMatch BC – recruits for all specialties – physician recruiters designated for recruitment within 5 regional health authorities.
- Alberta – Alberta Health Services – Job search portal for family physicians and specialists; Alberta Rural Physician Action Plan (RPAP)
- Saskatchewan – SaskDocs (Physician Recruitment Agency of Saskatchewan)
- Manitoba – Health Employment Manitoba – family physicians and specialists. Funded by province.
- Ontario – HealthForceOntario (HealthForceOntario Marketing and Recruitment Agency) – family physicians and specialists. Funded by province.
- Quebec – recruitment and physician distribution managed by provincial government
- Newfoundland & Labrador – Practice Newfoundland and Labrador – recruitment and retention program. Funded by province.
- Nova Scotia – Physicians.NovaScotia.ca. Recruit physicians, nurses and allied health providers. Funded by province.
- Prince Edward Island – Health PEI. Ministry of Health website for recruitment of physicians and health care providers
- New Brunswick – Government of New Brunswick job website for physicians and health care providers.
- North West Territories – Government of NWT job posting website for physicians and health care providers
- Yukon – Yukon Medical Association – job posting website for physicians
- Nunavut – Government of Nunavut – job posting website for physicians